Sunday, March 15, 2015

Concerning the Artistry and Creativity Community

3.15.2015
I know a few creative souls and though each of us is interested in a different aspect of artistry we all share a love for the creative thinking processes and can appreciate each others work. It occurred to me that the internet was the only place that I had ever searched for help and support concerning my creative growth. It is helpful, I have self taught myself everything I know about photography. But it should not be the stopping point.

I thought to myself how sad it was that I had spent hours looking for support and fresh ideas from the internet and not from the other creative souls that I already knew. That I saw practically ever week.

I know in the past people have met and got together to discuss their creative work and help refine each other into better artists. I do not know any other photographers among my friends, but I know that "thought begets thought" to quote Charlotte Mason, and that having a wide array of different perspectives could help me grow not only as a photographer but as a person.

What if you had just one or two other friends who you knew actively pursued artistry of one sort or the other. Why not start a monthly meet up? Why not show one another what you are inspired by, or what you are struggling with creatively speaking. Could they not bring a new light onto your developing skills? Could they not help you or you help them in some way? I believe the answer is yes, it would benefit everyone tremendously.

In our group we have a pianist/composer, a few writers, a few artists, and a photographer. It is a rather eclectic group of fellow creatives but could that not be the beauty of it? I believe all knowledge is connected and there are truths and principles concerning everything, whether it be art, or writing, or engineering, or photography, or baking, or science. If a wide assortment from different subjects is learned, a person will be far more educated than before. And one can be inspired by almost anything. If a group of creative minds met regularly, discussed there personal projects, hardships, inspiring words, how could not all benefit and learn tremendously? To learn anything one has to first be humble and admit he doesn't know and then he can begin to understand new things -- including all aspects of art. The more wide an assortment he has to learn from the more he will connect in his mind and the more he will truly know. As the Psalmist says, "The beginning of wisdom is: Acquire wisdom; And with all your acquiring, get understanding." ~ Proverbs 4:7

What are your thoughts? Do you think a meetup group like what I described would be beneficial?

No comments:

Post a Comment